Subject: Re: More Mail Headers...

From: Duane Stone / McDonnell Douglas / CSC-ASD <hplabs!DLS.MDC%office-1.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>
Date: 21 Oct 85 01:02 EDT

a Journal.

I might suggest re-wording the para on Author -- my associates might object to 
'strange' -- something like:

   This is used to credit the original author, or to give credit on article 
   excerpts (from Newspapers, magazines, books, etc).

One field which I forgot is:

   Length:  This is computed when the message is sent and gives the recipients 
   an estimate of the number of pages in the document.

   Example:

      Length: 6 pages [estimate]

Access:

   Used to declare whether a Journal item should be Public or Private (to those
   that are on the distribution list or Extended Access list)

   Example:

      Access: Unrestricted

Acknowledge-Delivery:

   Used to request the system mailer send back a message when it has 
   successfully delivered the item.

   Example:

      Acknowledge-Delivery: Requested

Acknowledge-Receipt:

   Used to to ask the recipient to acknowledge receipt of the message.

   Example:

   Acknowledge-Receipt: Requested

Addendum-To:

   A pointer to a previously submitted Journal item.

   Example:

      Addendum-To: <ASD,1234,>

Delivery-Timing:

   Used by the sender to indicate when the message should be submitted to the 
   mailer.

      Examples:

         Rush:       -   immediate

         Soon:       -   as soon as possible

         Defer:      -   overnight

         Start-Delivery: DATE TIME

         Stop-Delivery:  DATE TIME (if not yet delivered)

Disposition-Code:

   Used by the system to group Journal items into one of several classes for 
   eventual archive to tape and as an indicator of how long the archive tapes 
   should be retained.

   Example:

      Disposition-Code: Temporary (2 years)

Extended-access:

   Used with private Journal items to allow access by other than those on the 
   distribution list.

   Example:

      Extended-access: ASD.MDC

Location:

   Used to submit the message to the Journal.  The adressees receive a short 
   citation with other header fields and a "Location:" field pointing to a file
   in an electronic library.

   Example:

      Location: <MDC,1234,>

Part-Of:

   A pointer to a previously submitted Journal item.

   Example:

      Part-Of: <MDC,1234,>

Route-To:

   Used to send a message "in-turn" to addressees in the "To:" field -- as 
   opposed to the broadcast method of delivery where everyone gets the message 
   "simultaneously".  Any addresses in the "Cc:" field receive a copy of the 
   message each time it is passed from one adressee to the next in the "To:" 
   field.

   Example:

      Routed-to: {addresses in To field}

Signed:

   Created when the user employs the Sign command; used to electronically sign 
   a message.  It affixes a signature-block to a message.  A "Verify Signature"
   command is available to recipients that lets them find out if anyone has 
   changed the body of the message since the message was signed.

   Example:

          SIGNED
      
      Duane L. Stone
      App. Dev. Mgr.

Supersedes:

   A pointer to a previously submitted Journal item.

   Example:

      Supersedes: <MDC,1234,>

--- last line of the file --